28530 Transport Processes
Point( ECTS )
Taught under open university
|General competence course, MSc. Eng., Chemical and Biochemical Engineering|
Technological specialization course, MSc. Eng., Advanced and Applied Chemistry
Technological specialization course, MSc. Eng., Food Technology
Technological specialization course, MSc. Eng., Petroleum Engineering
Scope and form:
|Lectures with exercises, two projects. The two projects are
usually scheduled in October (report due at end of month) and in
last weeks of the 13-week period (report due first day of
examination period, usually). Normal teaching activities continue
concurrently with the projects.|
Duration of Course:
Type of assessment:
Not applicable together with:
General course objectives:
To introduce the participants to the modeling and numerical
description of flow, heat and mass transport.
A student who has met the objectives of the course will be able to:
- Describe the molecular processes behind viscosity, thermal
conduction and diffusion.
- Obtain analytical solutions for flow problems with simple
boundary and initial data.
- Formulate and analyze models for combined flow and heat
- Formulate and analyze models for combined flow and
- Formulate and analyze models for combined flow and chemical
- Make order of magnitude estimates for key quantities such as
fluxes, reaction rates and equilibration times.
- Use Computational Fluid Dynamics for the simulation of flow
with combined heat and mass transport (COMSOL)
- Evaluate the accuracy of approximations obtained by
Computational Fluid Dynamics.
- Formulate models for transport with a small or large parameter
Mechanisms for the transport of momentum (flow), nergy and mass in
chemical and biological systems. Introduction to Computational
Fluid Dynamics as basis for transport processes. Applications in
the design of equipment and analytical instrumentation in the
chemical, biotechnological and pharmaceutical industry.
R.B.Bird, W.E.Stewart & E.N. Lightfoot, Transport Phenomena,
Department of Chemical Engineering|
Registration Sign up:
Last updated: 24. april, 2014