27732 Human Nutrition
Point( ECTS )
Taught under open university
|E3A (Tues 8-12)
Scope and form:
|Lectures and exercises|
Duration of Course:
Type of assessment:
Not applicable together with:
General course objectives:
To communicate basic human nutrition based on biochemistry and
A student who has met the objectives of the course will be able to:
- Describe the structure of the digestive system and functions of
- Define the 6 classes of nutrients.
- Describe the digestion, absorption, systemic transport, storage
and elimination of each class of nutrients.
- Evaluate the body’s energy balance in different conditions and
solve simple problems in relation to energy intake and
- Estimate the effect of deficiency of selected nutrients within
each class of nutrients.
- Relate the different nutrients to deficiency symptoms and
- Assess nutrition related problems and suggest relations between
symptoms and life style.
- Relate a specific physiologic condition (e.g. pregnancy,
ageing) with particular nutritional needs.
Catabolism and absorption of the individual components of the diet
in the gastro-intestinal tract. Production and utilization of
energy. Fluids, electrolytes and acid-base equilibrium. Metabolism
of carbohydrates, proteins, and lipids including essential
components, fibers, and the biological value of proteins. Vitamins
and vitamin deficiency. Minerals and trace components. Diseases
related to mineral deficiency, e.g. osteomalacia and anaemia.
Obesity and malnutrition including protein-energy malnutrition.
Nutritional demands in pregnancy and lactation, and in the infant.
Lifestyle diseases including circulation and coronary heart
diseases. Diabetes and inherited metabolic diseases. Food allergy.
Diseases related to nutrition in the developing countries versus
the industrialized world.
The course is only offered in Danish.
Green challenge participation:
Please contact the teacher for information on whether this course
gives the student the opportunity to prepare a project that may
participate in DTU´s Study Conference on sustainability, climate
technology, and the environment (GRØN DYST). More infor
|27 Department of
23 National Food
Registration Sign up:
Last updated: 05. maj, 2014