27624 Python for bioinformatics
|Python for bioinformatics|
Point( ECTS )
Taught under open university
|Generel competence course, MSc. Eng., Bioinformatics Systems Biology|
|E2B (thurs 8-12)
Scope and form:
|Lectures and exercises|
Duration of Course:
|Decide with teacher|
Type of assessment:
General course objectives:
To familiarize the student with the Python programming language,
particularly to use Python to facilitate and automate the wide
variety of data manipulation tasks encountered in life science
A student who has met the objectives of the course will be able to:
- Read and understand the Python syntax.
- Be familiar with Python's fundamentals and develop simple
- Apply the principles and techniques of object-oriented
- Use sophisticated techniques and Python modules that are
particularly useful for bioinformatics programming.
- Build new Python software tools for life science research.
- Summarize text patterns using regular expressions.
- Apply different strategies for error handling of
- Write applications in one of the most simplistic languages
The lectures will be centered around the philosophy that getting
your hands dirty is the best way to learn a new programming
language. As such, lectures will be workshops consisting of a brief
presentation and most of the time spent on exercises on creating
applications to solve bioinformatic problems.
In the last part of the course the students will be working on a
small project, applying the modules presented and created during
the course to a larger bioinformatic perspective.
This course is for life science researchers who wants to learn how
to program. All subjects will be introduced with minimal
prerequisites, and supported by exercises centered around the
problems encountered by life science researchers.
Green challenge participation:
Please contact the teacher for information on whether this course
gives the student the opportunity to prepare a project that may
participate in DTU´s Study Conference on sustainability, climate
technology, and the environment (GRØN DYST). More infor
|27 Department of
Registration Sign up:
Last updated: 30. juni, 2014