26912 The Rietveld Method and X-ray Powder Diffraction
|Rietveldmetoden og røntgen pulver
Point( ECTS )
Taught under open university
As agreed.Deadline for enrolment 1st February 2015
Scope and form:
|Lectures, exercises and assignments|
Duration of Course:
|[The course is not following DTUs normal
Type of assessment:
|Minimum 5 Maximum: 10|
General course objectives:
To give a practical introduction to the Rietveld method for crystal
structure refinements from conventional or synchrotron powder
A student who has met the objectives of the course will be able to:
- Be able to outline fundamental diffraction theory.
- Be able to outline the building of crystalline material in
terms of unit cells and symmetries.
- Be able to outline the powder diffraction method, its
advantages and drawbacks.
- Be able to outline the Rietveld method, its advantages and
- Be able to outline possible error sources and how to
- Be oriented in crystallographic literature, databases and
- Be able to carry out data collection, data handling and
Rietveld refinements on crystal structures.
- Be able to present methods and results in a form acceptable to
the scientific literature.
X-rays. General diffraction theory. Powder diffraction. Data
collection strategies. Least-squares method. Rietveld
method. Refinement strategies. Particle size and defects.
Quantitative analysis. Practical exercises in sample preparation,
data collection, data handling, crystal structure refinements and
The course is open for participitaion for others than
Ph.D.-students against a fee. Please contact the person responsible
for the course or the Education Secretariate of the institute,
build. 206, room 208, phone 45252001
|26 Department of
Registration Sign up:
At the professor's office
1st of February, 2014
Last updated: 09. april, 2015