| || |
26912 The Rietveld Method and X-ray Powder Diffraction
|Rietveldmetoden og røntgen pulver diffraktion|
|Ph.D.- Chemistry, Biotechnology and Chemical Engineering|
|Taught under open university|
As agreed.Deadline for enrolment 1st February 2013
Scope and form:
Lectures, exercises and assignments
Duration of Course:
|[The Course is not following DTUs normal Schedule]|
Type of assessment:
|Minimum 5, Maximum: 10|
General course objectives:
To give a practical introduction to the Rietveld method for crystal structure refinements from conventional or synchrotron powder diffraction data.
|A student who has met the objectives of the course will be able to:|
- outline fundamental diffraction theory.
- outline the building of crystalline material in terms of unit cells and symmetries.
- outline the powder diffraction method, its advantages and drawbacks.
- outline the Rietveld method, its advantages and drawbacks.
- outline possible error sources and how to avoid/reduce them.
- be oriented in crystallographic literature, databases and internet resources.
- carry out data collection, data handling and Rietveld refinements on crystal structures.
- present methods and results in a form acceptable to the scientific literature.
X-rays. General diffraction theory. Powder diffraction. Data collection strategies. Least-squares method. Rietveld
method. Refinement strategies. Particle size and defects. Quantitative analysis. Practical exercises in sample preparation, data collection, data handling, crystal structure refinements and reports.
The course is open for participitaion for others than Ph.D.-students against a fee. Please contact the person responsible for the course or the Education Secretariate of the institute, build. 206, room 208, phone 45252001
|, 206, 218, (+45) 4525 2019,
|26 Department of Chemistry|
Registration Sign up:
|At the professor's office|
|Powder diffraction, Rietveld Method|
May 6, 2012||