| || |
26322 Crystal Structure Analysis
|Taught under open university|
Scope and form:
Lectures and exercises over a 3-week period.
Duration of Course:
Type of assessment:
Not applicable together with:
|Minimum 5, Maximum: 12|
General course objectives:
To introduce the principles of structural chemistry in order to enable the student to use X-ray diffraction methods for identification and structure determination of crystalline solids in inorganic, organic and biological chemistry. To enable the student to interpret and make use of the results of crystal structure investigations and databases.
|A student who has met the objectives of the course will be able to:|
- account for the building of crystalline materials in terms of symmetries and unit cells
- account for the fundamental X-ray diffraction theory
- mount a crystal on a diffractometer and collect a data set
- solve and describe a crystal structure
- orient himself/herself in the crystallographic literature, databases and internet resources
- orient himself/herself in related areas as powder diffraction and protein crystallography
- critically evaluate and compare crystal structures from the literature or databases.
- put together fundamental theory, experimental procedures, results and comparisons in a written report
Theory of X-ray scattering from crystals. Single crystal diffractometry. Theory of crystal structure determination. Phase identification by powder diffraction. Use of structural databases and internet resources. Experimental work including crystal mounting and X-ray work. To enlighten the theory a project inclusive of structure determination and structure analysis is carried out on selected compounds (e.g. zeolites, carbohydrates or coordination compounds). Tour to X-ray synchrotron in Lund.
Werner Massa: Crystal structure determination. Second edition. Springer. ISBN 3-540-20644-2 (Can be borrowed).
Of importance for further teaching in physical and chemical characteristics of solid materials.
|, 206, 218, (+45) 4525 2019,
|26 Department of Chemistry|
Registration Sign up:
|Crystallography, X-ray diffraction, Crystal structure, Databases|
April 28, 2012||