| || |
26231 Physical Chemistry 3
|Fysisk Kemi 3|
|Taught under open university|
Scope and form:
Lectures, problem sessions.
Duration of Course:
Date of examination:
Type of assessment:
Not applicable together with:
General course objectives:
To give an introduction to the theory of mass- and charge transport, kinetic theory of gases, and reaction dynamics. Furthermore, to give an introduction to the theory of energy states associated with the translational-, rotational- and vibrational motions of molecules, including nuclear- and electron spin, as a foundation for different spectroscopic techniques and statistical thermodynamics.
|A student who has met the objectives of the course will be able to:|
- Define transport coefficients to be used in the description of non-equilibrium phenomena in thermodynamic systems and apply them in calculations.
- Explain the kinetic model of gasses.
- Apply the kinetic model of ideal gasses to calculate transport coefficients for ideal gasses.
- Apply chemical kinetics to perform calculations of the rate of simple and complex chemical reactions.
- Explain the quantum mechanical background for the existence of spectra with well defined spectral lines.
- Describe the interaction between electromagnetic fields and molecules.
- Determine the structure and properties of molecules from spectroscopy.
Mass and charge transport, diffusion and electrolytic conductivity. The kinetic model of gases. Topics in reaction kinetics, including adsorption and heterogeneous catalysis. Introduction to the atomic-level description of chemical reactions. Interaction between electromagnetic radiation and molecules, quantization of molecular energy, the Schrödinger equation, spectroscopy with microwave-, infrared (IR)- and ultraviolet (UV) radiation, Raman spectroscopy, and nuclear magnetic (NMR)- and electron spin (ESR) resonans spectroscopy.
Atkin's Physical Chemistry,
Peter Atkins, Julio de Paula,
9. edition, Oxford
|, 206, 231, (+45) 4525 2461,
, 206, 207, (+45) 4525 2029,
|26 Department of Chemistry|
Registration Sign up:
|transport processes, kinetic gas theory, reaction dynamics, spectroscopy|
April 25, 2012||